Dental Cleaning (Prophylaxis)
Professional dental cleanings are an important dental procedure that are essential for improving your oral hygiene, revitalizing and brightening your smile, and preventing various dental diseases and problems. In addition to protecting oral health, cleanings may reduce risks of systemic illnesses, such as heart disease.
Dental cleanings are performed by one of our hygienists using professional instruments. Plaque and tartar are removed with scaling instruments or ultrasonic tools, and then the teeth are polished. During the exam, Dr. Coffey inspects the teeth and gums and reviews any x-rays taken.
We all know that even with diligent daily oral care (including proper brushing and flossing), it is nearly impossible to remove 100% of the plaque and debris from every corner and crevice of your mouth, which means that some harmful bacteria is still able to hide and thrive there. It is important to know that:
- Plaque is a sticky colorless coating of bacterial clusters that constantly forms on your teeth
- Bacterial clusters produce acids and toxins which cause gum irritation and tooth decay
- If not removed regularly, these clusters can turn into a hardened form of plaque called tartar
- Once the plaque hardens into tartar, it can only be removed by special tools and paste during a professional dental cleaning
A professional dental cleaning offers many benefits including:
- Removing harmful bacteria from your teeth, under your gums, and in hard to reach areas that are usually missed or inaccessible during regular brushing, therefore preventing tooth decay and gum inflammation
- Brightening and revitalizing your smile by removing various stains from the surface of your teeth and polishing them with a special polishing tool and paste
- Refreshing your breath by removing odor-causing bacteria and bacterial by-products from your teeth, gums, and the back of your tongue
- Fluoride application to your teeth to make the tooth surface stronger and more bacteria-resistant (if necessary)
- Detailed dental care instructions (including proper brushing and flossing techniques)
Patients can keep looking good and lower their risks of oral health problems by visiting Dr. Coffey at least twice each year (every 6 months) for a dental cleaning. Performed in combination with x-rays (once a year) and visual inspections, routine cleaning is a powerful preventive tool that patients can employ.
Regular professional dental cleanings can help you avoid serious and costly dental and general health problems and is the key to maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile for many years to come. To learn more about the importance of dental cleaning, patients can schedule a FREE consultation with Dr. Coffey.
If you would like to schedule a dental cleaning with Encinitas Dentist, Edward B. Coffey, DDS MS – Encinitas Dental Art, please call us at (760) 942-7272. Hablamos Español.
***View our dental cleaning specials for new patients by clicking HERE!